Are you a Dam Safety Specialist?
On behalf of the World Bank, the Swiss Water Partnership is launching a call for experts in the field of “Dam Safety”. Required languages: French & Spanish.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The World Bank is seeking for highly qualified and motivated individual to serve as a Dam Safety Specialist. The principal responsibilities of the Dam Safety Specialist would include:
- Serving as a task team’s technical resource on dam safety policy issues, in particular helping teams interpret and implement the policy in their project, as well as liaising with the project’s expert panels on their findings related to dam safety.
- Providing direct technical support to task teams across all regions, in particular for Francophone countries, and multiple GPs to prepare and supervise high quality dam related projects.
- This will particularly involve reviewing dams’ feasibility study, detailed design, technical specification of bidding document, construction supervision and other technical reports as well as discussing technical issues with clients, designers, contractors, etc.
- While technical support will always have a dam safety dimension, the Dam Safety Specialist would also be expected to help team’s address other technical dam issues as appropriate.
- Contributing to regular training sessions on dam safety for operational staff.
- Contributing to knowledge management / sharing activities related to dam safety and other key tasks of the GSG for Hydropower and Dams.
Since site visits to many projects will be required, this position will require a significant amount of international travel, in particular for Francophone African countries.
- An advanced degree (MS, PhD) in civil engineering and at least 8 years of hands-on experience in planning, designing, and construction supervision of dams for different purposes (hydropower, water supply, irrigation, navigation, environment, multipurpose).
- Proven expertise in key disciplines associated with dams, such as rock mechanics and geotechnical engineering, hydrology, hydraulics, structural engineering, system control and management (instrumentation and monitoring).
- Knowledge of FIDIC conditions of contract and /or WB procurement guidelines is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member for providing integrated and innovative approaches to resolving complex technical issues.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, and team skills, and the ability to work across boundaries,
- Ability to function effectively in a multi-cultural environment, building and sustaining partnerships with clients and colleagues.
- Willingness and ability to regularly conduct site visits, including visits to remote areas.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills for the preparation of documents.
- Strong written and spoken English language communications skills are required; fluency in French & Spanish languages is essential and Portuguese language is desirable.
Interested persons can submit their CV to the SWP Secretariat.
More information: Terms of Reference Dam Safety Specialist
Deadline for submission: 15th May 2018.